When doing your weekly grocery shopping, you can improve and protect your family’s well-being by adding these eight super foods for optimal health to your list. All of them are nutrient dense and boost the body’s immune system for added protection against disease.
(1) Berries such as blackberries, blueberries and cranberries are loaded with anti-oxidants and fiber, great for adding to breakfast cereal or salads or enjoying as a low-calorie snack or dessert choice.
(2) Nuts feature heart-healthy fats, high fiber and anti-oxidants and make a great snack option.
(3) Yogurt is an excellent choice in the dairy category, offering probiotics for a healthy digestive system and calcium to maintain good bone health.
(4) Eggs contain 12 vitamins and minerals and are one of the most economical sources of daily protein.
(5) Garlic, a member of the onion family, dramatically boosts the immune system to ward off colds and flu.
(6) Beans are an economical source of protein, fiber, potassium, magnesium and carbohydrates for energy.
(7) Salmon, raised in the wild, contains the omega-3 fatty acids which are essential to good heart and cardiovascular health.
(8) Broccoli has been recognized as a premiere cancer-fighting vegetable, a versatile source of Vitamin K, Vitamin A and Vitamin C.